Saturday, November 26, 2011

Making progress......

From last time I had removed the forward bulkhead and then the king post and found foredeck
rot in the core so now it was now time to remove the sprit assemble. First reason is that it had to be done to get to the deck area to repair it. But even more important is the fact that rot in the sprit wood could be very bad - like a potential for de-masting. So here is what it looked like before I started.


There was lots of stuff in the way. Netting was old so it was cut away. Then securing the staysail stay and the lifelines. The final step was to loosen the three large deck bolts before remove the furling/forestay attachment. This allowed me to evenly lift the sprit up off the deck. Once the bolts were clear then the forestay was tied off to the side stays and a halyard was used to lower the sprit with platform and pulpit still intact. Then into the back of my truck and to my yard for the stripping down.


So now I have the sprit assembly at my house and time to start removing everything. Note litte Scarlet Skiff somehow snuck into the back of this photo. It was pretty easy to remove the pulpit, two anchor rollers, and teak platform. Next came the moment of truth. To sand through 10 layers of paint to find out what the wood actually looked like.

Well -- most of it was good -- actually very good. The area where the mounting bolts are was great. And the end of the sprit where it goes into the eyeband - was also good.




But not perfect. It was very fortunate that I did the strip down the sprit because one of the holes for the threaded rod that holds on the teak platform had the start of some rot. If left unchecked this would have continued until the strength of the spar would have been compromised. So I will be using penetrating epoxy on the whole piece with special attention to this area above. There is a little wood missing but compared to the cross section - I don't think it will be any problem. The threaded rod going through this hole has minimal forces on it.

So looks like I can move these pieces indoors and tomorrow I might try to attack the foredeck .. weather permitting.

Sailor Jim




4 comments:

  1. Jim: Glad to see you are progressing with the rebuild - Jay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sailor Jim,

    If you run out of energy and need to abandon, please contact me. I'm looking for a project boat Westsail 32. Email: bechelt.pct@gmail.com
    I'm in support of you, but I would be willing to lift it your hands.

    Cheers,

    Tyler Bechel

    ReplyDelete
  3. The westsail's are awesome boats. Don't give in and Keep us updated!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Following your blog back in UK, hope you are still persevering with her. Keep going, it will be worth it when you sail her for the first time round the bay! Rick

    ReplyDelete