Sunday, November 13, 2011

It has been a long time........

Hello Everyone,

No I did not abandon this project. I had thoughts of it but I made up  my mind and I am not turning back.

Back last summer I had the yard peel her bottom. They did a pretty nice job and I was thrilled to see almost no damage into the actual fiberglass of the boat. There are a few spots to repair but it will be very minor. I will need to sand down the ridges left by the peeler and sand around the hard areas like the thru hulls.



I am planning to replace all of them so once I have them out the final sanding will be easy. The barrier coat is planned for late next Spring.

Just recently I found rotten wood on the bulkhead. I thought at first that I could just cut a bit of it away but this was not the case. The entire wall in front of the V-berth needed to be removed. Not a fun job but  with the right dremel tool, the fiberglass holding it to the hull was cut. This was almost a necessity of another repair job - the replacement of the bobstay fitting. This fitting is buried under a layer of fiberglass in the very peak of the bow. Now with everything open, I should be able to get to the fitting relatively easy.


The two post that set on either side of the sprit were removed to check for rot. Fortunately they were fine but the deck plywood in front of them was soft. At this point I'm not sure how extensive the deck damage is but I am planning to repmove the sprit  next. Once it is out of the way I can see what needs to be done. I am also planning on adding a windlass so now is the time to determine what may need to be modified to mount and carry the load of it. The fun never stops right?





Ok - this is the major stuff. I have been removing head and water tanks along with a few more odds and ends. Whenever I run into something I think I might leave alone, I think about it and then decide to take it out just is case.

So - I'm still plugging away and soon I'll need to attack sanding of the hull.

Till next time

Sailor Jim


No comments:

Post a Comment