Friday, November 19, 2010

Let's Catch Up!

Ok, let me use this post to update you as to where "nameless" is right now. Sorry - I will name her but I just haven't found the right one yet.

After raising her, the salvage company towed her to a local repair yard in Deltaville on Fishing Bay. It was at their dock that I was able to get my diesel running and then they hauled her and power washed the exterior grim off.


So this is how see looked straight off the bottom -- remember she was under for 3 weeks.

and then after power washing......



The biggest surprise is that the teak decks cleaned up very nicely.



So what have I been doing so far?

I've spend a fair amount of time playing with the diesel - running it and changing fuilds. All the electrical controls, indicators and wiring will need to be replaced. I will not be using the OEM replacement unit that cost $1000 - instead I'll make my own custom unit.

On the interior I have been ripping out the headliner - and underlining plywood. I have removed every drawer, door, panel - that could be removed and have them in my garage.Those made of solid teak look great and will refinish pretty easily. I'll done a fair job of getting the muck out
but the water tanks will need to be removed and all hoses and thru hulls reconditioned.

So that is where I am now -- more after this weekend.

Sailor Jim

5 comments:

  1. Jim: You are moving right along with the refurbish of "nameless". Keep up the good work... and was this "fresh" water or salt water that she sunk in?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was up the Rappahanock River - Carter Creek - off the Chesapeake Bay. Not ocean sea water, but very much salt water.

    The electrical system is trash - I have been running the engine like crazy -- but wish I could put a load on it. I di disconnect the coupling so I could at least put it in gear.

    Thanks for following...
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jim,stumbled across your blog earlier today whilst fantasizing a lil at the prospect of heading out to sea on a Westsail myself. I was rather sorry to hear about your recent turn of events. I dont know if you are still trying to make your trip happen this year or not, but if you are I think I may have run across something to help you. Im not sure if I should post links in the comment boxes, ive been a caveman most of my life and only recently have starting trying to walk erect with tech.I'd be happy to pass along the info via PM if that's a thing here? When your done chuckling and shaking your head at my ignorance, drop me a line I guess.I would say that time is a bit of a factor, and that I really think you should see this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jim,stumbled across your blog earlier today whilst fantasizing a lil at the prospect of heading out to sea on a Westsail myself. I was rather sorry to hear about your recent turn of events. I dont know if you are still trying to make your trip happen this year or not, but if you are I think I may have run across something to help you. Im not sure if I should post links in the comment boxes, ive been a caveman most of my life and only recently have starting trying to walk erect with tech.I'd be happy to pass along the info via PM if that's a thing here? When your done chuckling and shaking your head at my ignorance, drop me a line I guess.I would say that time is a bit of a factor, and that I really think you should see this.

    ReplyDelete